Hebrews 5: 11 – 6:3
There is much to know about Father, Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit that is not easy to explain or understand. It is even more difficult if you are dull in spiritual hearing and insight, as well as sluggish in your pursuit of God and righteousness. We all begin as babes easily drinking the milk fed to them. But, we are supposed to grow up and feed ourselves solid food which requires effort. If you are still drinking milk fed to you by others, then you are obviously inexperienced and unskilled in conforming to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action…. the doctrine of righteousness….right thinking and right doing. As an infant, you are not even able to talk right yet! But by now, they should have been able to teach others!
Solid food is for those who are grown up. Their thoughts and senses have been instructed and trained by practice to discriminate between what is good and what is evil….to be discerning.
We are encouraged to advance steadily from the elementary teachings toward completeness in spiritual maturity. But, we need to be sure we are standing on a firm foundation. So, what are the elementary foundational teachings we need to be established in first? This is not about dead formalism in keeping religious laws, but rather about faith.
- The foundation of repentance for our sin and receiving of forgiveness through Jesus, initially as we humble ourselves before Him and continually as we learn and practice righteousness.
- The abandonment of dead works and even dead religious formalism, laws, or methodologies….so that we now have a new and living faith.
- The consistent faithful practice of walking in a love and trust relationship with Father, Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.
- A passionate pursuit towards becoming pure and sanctified by the Holy Spirit….to become more and more like Him.
- The loving laying on of hands for one another in encouragement and blessings.
- Our certain and sure foundation of the resurrection of Jesus from the dead to give us hope and eternal life.
- The fact of eternal judgment and consequential punishment of those who refuse to accept God’s salvation and New Covenant through Yehsua Jesus, His Son.
If these Hebrew Christians had really understood the Old Testament prophesies and teaching as the Word of God, and had really known God; then, they would have understood these elementary doctrines long ago.
What does this say to you today? Do you understand these elementary things so that you are standing on a firm foundation? Or are you like these Hebrews who only knew about religious laws, services, and methods? Are you really ready to proceed to more advanced teaching and understanding? Are you solid on these doctrines? Do you have a personal, real, and active living relationship with the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit? Is your heart and mind fully convicted in knowing these elementary doctrines are most certainly true? Do you truly believe and have unshakable faith in Jesus as your personal Savior and Lord, plus He is offering a close intimate loving relationship with you? Do you trust Jesus enough to follow Him wholeheartedly? Are you ready to move into deeper spiritual insights?