Praise the Lord! The last verses remind me of the amazing work God has done in making the Way for His fallen created people to be restored to Himself. We are just the enslaved poor and needy…made of the dust of the earth and destined to return to dust in death. Yet, He raises us up in Jesus! He makes us sons/daughters and princes/princesses. We were without good fruit like a barren woman, but He makes us a joyful mother of spiritual children and a fruitful homemaker.
Verse 2, Jesus, descended from Juday, became God’s Holy Place of habitation, and He has dominion over God’s people.
Verse 7, “Tremble, o earth, at the presence of the Lord!”
O Lord, not to us, but to Your name give glory, for Your mercy and loving-kindness, for the sake of Your truth and faithfulness! The world asks, “Where is your God?” We say that our God is in heaven and can do whatever He pleases. The idols and those who worhship other gods are useless. Everyone should reverently fear the Lord and confidently trust in, rely on, and lean on Him. He is able to help, increase, and bless. We will affectionately and gratefully praise the Lord forever!
I love the Lord! He heard my prayer for salvation and saved me unto Himself. He continues to hear my prayers and answers. He helps and preserves me, returns me to rest in my soul, keeps me from falling into total destruction, and deals with me bountifully. I will continue to believe in, trust in, lean on, rely on, cling to, and walk with Him, even when I am afflicted. I could never repay Him for all He does for me. I will pay my vow of commitment and faithfulness to Him in front of all the peoples. Lord, truly I desire to serve and be pleasing to You. I give You thanksgiving. I love You!
This must be the shortest chpater in the Bible – only 2 verses!
Everyone praise the Lord! His mercy and loving-kindness towards us is great! The Lord’s truth and faithfulness endure forever!
Short, true, and powerful!
This Psalm has many verses that may be familiar to you as they are to me.
Verse 1, “Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.”
Verses 5-6, “I called on the Lord in distress, the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. The Lord is on my side. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
Verse 14, “The Lord is my strength and my song. And he has become my salvation.”
Verse 16, “The right hand of the Lord is exalted; the right hand of the Lord does valiently.”
Verse 17, “I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord.”
Verses 18-19, “The Lord has chastened me severely, but He has not given me over to death. Open to me the gates of righteousness; I will go through them.”
Verses 22-25, “The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This was the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Save now, I pray, O Lord; O Lord I pray, send now prosperity. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.”
verse 29. “Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever!”
Do you see both personal application and prophecy of Jesus in these verses?
While Psalm 117 is uniquely short, Psalm 119 is uniquely long! It is right in the middle of Book 5 of Psalms, so it is a main central message. Psalm 119 has the Word of God (His truth, standards, commands) as the main subject. Each section begins with a Hebrew letter of the alphabet in alphebetical order. This, making it a good teaching toool for next generations of believers in God. The Word of God should be our focus and guide to how to live life too. Below are quick summaries of each alphabet section of this Psalm….
- Blessed are those who keep God’s Word, walk as He walks.
- Seek God with your whole heart, hide His Word in your heart through learning and meditation in it, delight yourself in His Word.
- Open my eyes so that I might see wondrous things (wisdom) in Your Word. The proud stray from Your commandments, but I desire them to lead me.
- The world is fallen and burdensome. Strengthen me with Your Word. I desire to follow Truth.
- Teach me Lord. Give me understanding. Help me walk in Your path. Incline my ear to You and turn my eyes away from worthless things.
- I trust Your Word. My hope is in Your Word. Your Word helps me live in freedom.
- Your Word gives me life and comfort in my afflictions and the works of the wicked.
- The Lord and His Word are my chosen food. I turn my feet to follow You and am the companion to others who fear and follow You. Wickedness tried to trap us, but Your mercy and Word saves us.
- When I go astray, please discipline and instruct me in Your good judgements and wisdom. Pride lies and an overindulgent heart of selfishness is a slippery slope to evil. It is better to be disciplined and turn in repentance towrads Your Word and Ways.
- Your Word is right and Your faithfulness You discipline me. I pray for Your merciful kindness and comfort. I repent and desire to please You in learning and following Your Word. You then make my heart blameless so that I am not ashamed.
- I am persecuted and my soul faints, so I search Your Word for hope. Help me. Revive me so that I may continue to keep Your Word.
- Your Word is settled in heaven. Your Word endures forever. Your Word brings life. Your Word will bring the consummation of all perfection.
- I love Your Word! It is my thoughts all day! I makes me wise. It gives me understanding. When I keep Your Word, it keeps me from going the evil way of destruction. I hate false ways. Your Word is sweet and pleasant to me.
- ” Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” It shows me the right way and warns me of the wicked.
- I hate the double minded, but I love Your law and Word. It is absolute. You are my hiding place, shield, and hope. Your Word and truth hold me up and I am safe. You reject those who stray from You and all deceivers. Your Word is truth.
- It is time for You to act, Lord, because they regard Your Word as void nothingness. Yet, I love and cling to Your Word. I desire to serve You. Please give me wisdom and understanding according to Your word. I hate false ways.
- Your Word is wonderful and brings light! I love for Your commandments. Direct my steps. Let no iniquity haev dominion over me. Redeem me from the oprression of men. I weep rivers of tears because people forsake Your Word.
- Zeal has consumed me because people do not regard or remember Your Word. Your Word is Law…it is truth and righteousness…it is pure! I will continue to love Your Word and precepts.
- I seek Your Word day and night. The wicked are far from Your Law. Your commandments are truth and justice. You have founded them forever.
- Revive me according to Your Word. Save me from the disgusting treacherous people who do not keep Your Word. Your judgements are righteous.
- My heart stands in awe of Your Word. I rejoice in Your Word. I love Your Word and ate lying. Your Word gives me great peace and hope.
- Deliver me accofding to Your Word. I will speak out Your Word. Seek me if I get off-track. Let Your judgements and Word help me.
Can you honestly say that you feel the same way about the Word of God? Is it in you thoughts day and night? Are you delighted to be able to read and meditate in it? Do you seek the wisdom in the written Word of God?
One of the great powers of the Reformation was people enabled to read the Word of God for themselves, free from living by what others said about God and His Word. What an upside down situation today….people prefer to hear and read what other people think about God and His Word or delight to hear those who claim that God sent them with a prophecy or a “word”….instead of actually reading the written Word of God for themselves. Others. Christians and non-believers, just disregard it. This makes deception and lies easy. Love the written Word of the Lord and give it primary attention. Trust the Holy Spirit to teach you. I hope my messages and Bible studies always drive you to open the Bible for yourself!